We know. It's frustrating. You get a fancy new toy (read: camera!) and take it out of the box. It's shiny. All kinds of chrome-y plastic-y goodness.
And then you turn it on, leave it on AUTO, and start shooting.
While most digital cameras these days - yes, even those fancy-pants new pocket auto-everything point-and-shoots - can, and will, take pretty good pictures straight outta-the-box, there's still something greatly lacking in the way that most folks actually take the shot.
You know what we mean. The self portraits scattered all over the interwebs on Facebook and everywhere else. The kinda-artsy but still kinda badly composed macro flower shots that would be that much better if only the background was thrown out of focus. The sweeping scenic views...that just happen to have your goofy looking family half-way out of the frame, trash on the ground in front of the epic beach, and a blown-out sky that you swore was a gorgeous life-changing sunset when you were there. Right?
Ok, well, photography takes practice. The first thing: take it off of "auto" and learn a bit about exposure. Learn a bit about composition. Get some good glass and learn why wide-open apertures make your photos look that much more like what the pros get.
Don't know what an aperture is? Never fear, we'll make it a painless process......because FBIStudios is now offering classes! Yes classes! You know, those delightful educational opportunities that we've been talking about for five years?!
Well, we finally got our proverbial, er, stuff together, and we're putting on the first Beginning Photography class in just one week!
Here's the scoop (lazily copy/pasted from our very first ever email invitation using one of those nifty ConstantContact systems!)
Is your new camera stuck on the "Auto" setting? Do you wish that what you see is really what your camera gets?
Come to Beginning Photography Tips and Concepts - Learn pro-level tricks without worrying about the technical stuff. And, learn the technical stuff too without getting overwhelmed.
We'll simply help you to create better pictures.
Increase your understanding of photography & decrease your frustration with simple techniques and tricks.
Get the basics for both digital and film - even a few tips that experienced photographers will appreciate:
- exposure settings
- camera handling
- lens selection
- accessories such as tripods and filters.
For any questions regarding this or other classes offered by Fine Balance Imaging Studios, please contact us via email or phone.
Thank you for your interest in this new series of educational offerings from FBIStudios. More classes and workshops coming soon!
Pretty exciting, eh? Yeah, we finally did it. For real.
And the list of classes coming up is pretty awesome too:
- Adobe Lightroom: Organizing, Processing, and Playing with your photos
- Adobe Photoshop: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced classes and multi-week-courses for all experience levels
- Photographic Studio Lighting, Portrait Lighting and Composition tips and techniques, and other hands-on workshops in our very own brand-spankin'-new photo studio (soon to be relocated to our new classroom space at the Bayview Cash Store!)
- Social Media and Marketing: getting a handle on all the Facebooking Tweeting Blogging stuff...mostly for business-owners and artists, so it becomes a marketing vehicle instead of a big ol' time-sink...
- And....last but not least....Printing! because that's what we do best. We'll be offering classes on Alternative Printing Techniques, Printing Transfer Techniques, and all kinds of cool and alternative ways to play with your art using some of the new technologies, papers, and the like...
Got an idea for a class or workshop you think we should teach? Shoot us an email or drop a line...maybe we'll add it later this summer or fall.